Thursday, December 29, 2011

Anniversary Surprise

Nathan and I have been married for an entire year, can you hardly believe it?

This was a hard semester in school! Especially near the end, it seemed like everything just piled up.  During the last week of school, I had a huge quartet recital, a big presentation, a recital for all of my SLCC students, and two enormous papers due.  Within two days, I wrote 29 pages worth of papers, and on top of that, I contracted the worst cold I've experienced in years.  I hardly had time to think about the fact that our very first anniversary was that same weekend.

On the second day of mass paper writing, and the worst day of my cold, Nathan texted me from work to ask me what time I thought I'd be done writing.  I guessed 7:00 that night.  He came home at 5:00, made me some delicious home made chicken noodle soup, did the dishes, played with our lonely puppy, and by 8:00 I still wasn't done.  He had a long over due haircut appointment at 8:00, but said by the time he got back, if I was finished with my paper, we would go see the lights on temple square.

I finished up about half an hour later, emailed my paper off to the professor, and got all bundled up for some light-seeing in the freezing cold.  Nathan came home a little bit later, and was all ready to go.  He wasn't wearing anything warm- just a coat.  I was concerned, cause he hates the cold.  He said he didn't want to put on a hat, cause it would mess up his hair.  Pssssh. Ok, I thought.  If he's frozen, it's not cause I didn't try.

We got in the car and started to drive toward temple square. We were driving way too far east for the temple, though, and by then I finally caught on.  We weren't going to see the lights at all!  He had anniversary secret plans!  We ended up at the Anniversary Inn- the same place we stayed for our wedding night.  We had a wonderful time.  Nathan made an emergency run to Walgreens for cold medicine for me, we ate cheesecake and sipped sparkling cider in the jetted tub, we watched a favorite movie, and just had a good time talking and spending time together.  We got a great night's sleep, and Nathan even called in sick to work the next day.  It was simple and wonderful.  I love that kind of surprise!

It's been a crazy year for us, with lots of wonderful things, and some really unexpected hard things as well.  We loved living in our little SoSLC apartment together, and have loved making a new home in our little basement too.  We had an amazing honeymoon in Mexico where we shared our first Christmas together on the beach.  We planted a garden and learned about irrigation, composting, and making things grow. We spent many many nights together making and bottling salsa and spaghetti sauce. We spent a long seven weeks apart while I played my cello in Germany, and he started a new job at IMC.  We have gone into, and paid off debt.  We got a new sweet puppy.   There was some drama with the wii and the xbox, which finally got settled with a trade in for Nathan's new favorite Galaxy Tab.  We spent sweet time with my family watching my Mom get more and more sick. We cried together and supported each other through her passing away.  We've made it through two semesters of school!  We've celebrated holidays and made new traditions.  I've burned dinners (chicken wings!!), but also made some really yummy ones too!  There have been tickle fights and game nights and long walks and late night trips to Taco Bell.  2011 was one of my favorite years ever.

I love Nathan Morris.  He is my best friend and the best husband I could ask for.  He really is so good for me.  And I'd like to think that I'm pretty good for him too.  I'm so blessed to have him in my life.  Here's to many many more wonderful anniversaries!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Here I am, teary-eyed, after reading your post. I love you and Nathan, and I'm so glad to finally see you crazy kids married and living the dream!