Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I'm not catholic.

But I like the idea of Lent.

Today is Ash Wednesday, which is the first day of Lent, which lasts until the Thursday before Easter.

What I like about it is the idea of fasting or temporarily giving up things that are hard to do without.  And relying upon help from God to do without them.  In doing so, the idea is to come closer to God in order to have a more meaningful Easter celebration, and a deeper understanding of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Heaven knows that I could use a spiritual boost.  I am ready to stop being lazy and uncommitted- in many corners of my life.  I am ready to be a happier wife, a more connected friend, a better house keeper, a more diligent student, a healthier eater, a more patient puppy owner, a more invested teacher, and a better Christian.

So, for Lent, as a symbol of forsaking and strengthening, I am going to give up sugar.  Sweets are one of my most favorite things to eat.  I crave them!  Which is why it is good for me to let them go- To prove that I can master my physical self.

Plus, I have a genetic predisposition to diabetes, and already display high triglycerides in my blood.  So, hopefully I can start to develop healthier habits as well.  


I already know from reading food labels that living completely void of sugar is somewhat unrealistic.  Bread, almond milk, cashews, fruit, veggies... they all have sugar!  But I am going to try to keep my daily intake lower than 20 g a day.

Until Easter.

And then I'll share my results.  My spiritual, mental, and physical results.

Happy Ash Wednesday, everyone!

3 comments:

Kel said...

Great idea! I hope you don't mind if I join in and set a few goals for myself. You are wonderful, and your blog is so uplifting!

Stephi said...

That's awesome! Go you! And, your Valentine's Day was also very adorable! I hope you are doing well! Miss ya!

Erin the Mom said...

Awesome goal, J! I looked the other morning on the back of the syrup bottle I was pouring on our pancakes to discover in horror that there are 30g of sugar just in one serving! And that was only one topping in only one meal! Sugars are hard to cut down on. Let me know how it's going. Love ya!