Thursday, January 24, 2013

Favorite Quotes from Music 1010-4 Week 1

I am a community college adjunct faculty member.  It's about the lowest job on the totem pole of jobs that actually make use of a Doctorate of Musical Art degree.  And I actually really like it.

I've been teaching cello lessons at SLCC for the past two years now, which has been all sorts of fun.  And I feel like I have the hang of how to do it- what to include in my syllabus, how much practice time to require, how to grade practice time and recital performances, how to schedule a student recital, etc.  I think I've got it down.

But this semester, after responding to the administration's desperate plea for adjunct professors to pick up additional classes, I started teaching a section of music 1010.  Section 4.  of introduction to music.  A fine arts general credit course full of 35 hoodlum community college students.  Most of whom are wonderful.

Just so that I don't forget how fun these guys are, I'm compiling a list of my favorite quotes, statements, questions, etc from this class.  Whether they are storming my desk after class, flooding my inbox all day, or interrupting the lecture with a raised hand, these are some of my favorites from my first week of class.

"I'm going to be 10 minutes late for every class, because I'm kind of a slow walker. is it ok if you don't mark me late?"

"I need to leave class 10 minutes early every Wednesday so that I can change clothes and be on time to institute choir, is that ok?"

"I don't think I can really afford to go to any of the required concerts for this course"
ME: "There is a list of free concert options on the syllabus"
"Well, just so you know, I'm not going to go to any concerts."

"Tubas sound like farting."

(while listening to the guitar solo from Hotel California): "Is this Ricky Martin??"

"I'm having trouble accessing the online text for the class.  Not that I'm ever going to read it, but I thought you should know."

"My financial aide hasn't come through yet, so I can't purchase the textbook yet."
(next day) My financial aide still hasn't come through yet..."
(next day) Still waiting on my financial aide to come through.  I still haven't read the textbook."

"Can I write my concert report in Spanish?  I don't know the words in English."

"I wanted to come up after class and let you know that I'm probably the only person in class who listens to One Republic.  Isn't that funny?  But it doesn't really make me weird, because they are actually my same age."

(male student) "I saw you in your concert on Sunday... wearing your cute little red sweater.  Did you see me?"

"I'm going to miss class all next week.  Can I still get attendance points?"

"... I think you mean Pachelbell Canon in D MINOR."

"The reason why the dry erase board looks so awful is because you used the cleaning spray.  You should never use the cleaning spray."
(After the next class period, this student tried to show me the proper way to erase the board.  It still looked awful.)

(while teaching them about tonality of music) "What did she just say, tonic??"
(other student) "Yeah, like gin and tonic."

"Can I use 'going to a rave' for a concert report?"
(other student) ".... um, raves are illegal"

Aren't these guys fun?  I get 'em for another 15 weeks.  :)

2 comments:

Amber Madsen said...

I love it!!! Thanks for giving me a good laugh!!! I love the quote about the rave....classic!!

Jenete said...

Wow, that's awesome. Good luck with your class and keep sharing quotes these are great!