Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The... Wednesday List?

OK, so I already failed at listing on Mondays.

1. That being said, I'm trying a new thing this week where I try to stress less.  So I'm definitely not going to stress about blogging (of all things) two days later than I planned.  This less-stress resolution came from the awesome "boob whisperer" (more on her later), Nurse Karen, who noticed during our first lactation consultation that I am WAY stressed out, and reading WAY too much, and Google Searching WAY too much, and getting all confused and stressed about the hordes of conflicting Mom info that is available on the internet and in books.  So I'm trying not to read so much, or Google so much, or stress so much.  Supposedly I have mothering instincts, and I'm trying to trust those instead.

2. Nurse Karen.  (the lactation specialist nurse). Has been.  My HERO this week.  She was out of town from the day that the pediatrician recommended her to us until two weeks later, so it took us a while to get in to see her.  Our first visit was Thursday, then we went back again Friday, and again on Tuesday... cause Clementine and I needed LOTS of help.  But we've come a LONG way since last Thursday!  There have been really awesome days, and days where I have handed Nathan the baby and a bottle, and gone to bed and cried for a while.  But the good days are happening far more often now than they used to.  I think we actually might be able to do this breast feeding thing after all!  And because of that, I don't feel like such a failure of a mother.

3. When cute Clementine was born, she had a head full of cute fuzzy dark hair.  Since then, it has been lightening up a little more every day.  Someone told us that we were washing the color out of it. :)  But now she isn't only going blonde, she's going bald on top!  I know this happens to lots of babies, but I hope her cute fuzz comes back soon!

4. We have been spoiled and haven't really had to make very many dinners since Clementine was born (almost 4 weeks ago!).  But I actually really like making dinner usually, and on Monday I decided to get my cooking skills back out and try making something more involved than a bowl of cereal or Hamburger Helper.  I wanted to make Dinner in a Pumpkin, which I always loved eating at Kristin Krogue's house every October.  The problem was that I launched into the project before checking that we had all of the ingredients.  We didn't.  But it was ok- I switched out a few veggies for other similar veggies and called it good.  But we also didn't have soy sauce.  It's ok, just add in a little extra chicken stock.  Then the rice that was supposed to be cooking in the rice maker was crunchy, no matter how much extra water I added in.  And then when I was simmering it all together in the skillet, Clementine got sad, and while I was helping her, the whole mess burned on the bottom.  Not to worry- still salvageable.  Then Nathan came home in the middle of all of this, and I hadn't even put the casserole in the pumpkin yet.  We decided to forgo the pumpkin and the extra hour that it would need to bake, and just eat the make-shift casserole instead.  The recipe suggested topping it with chow mein noodles- which we had!!  But after we covered our plates in the burned casserole covered with crunchy noodles, we took one bite and realized that the noodles were SO stale.  It was awful.  We threw the whole thing in the trash, packed Clementine in her car seat.  And headed to Taco Bell.  The chicken chalupa and bean burrito hit the spot!

5. Clementine's social calendar continues to be jam packed!  We hit up a family halloween party on Friday night- this time in our actual costumes as a bank robber and a sack of cash.  (Sadly, Nathan had to work that night).  Then we went to JJ's annual Halloween party on Saturday, which was really fun this year!  We had to solve puzzles and riddles as teams to figure out who the murderer was.  And guess what?  Nathan and I were the murderers this year!  Then we took Clementine to church for the first time ever on Sunday- hopefully she didn't catch any crazy diseases from the congregation.  And later that night, we had Morris family dinner, which was also a costume party, but nobody but the Beck family knew it.  Ha.  Clementine got passed around so much that night- I don't think I got to hold her for more than a minute.  I'm glad that she is loved.







1 comment:

Erin the Mom said...

Oh, J, I laughed and cried about your dinner in a pumpkin! Don't stress. Life with a baby SERIOUSLY gets so much easier. Better times are ahead, and you are coping so WELL! It's hard for ALL new moms. We all have to cry sometimes, especially in the beginning. Hormones will balance, nursing will get easier, bodies will adjust to less sleep, and baby will learn to SMILE, then LAUGH, and on and on. It's hard but it is also rewarding and well-worth it. Love you.