Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Self Revision

Lack of PASSION.  BLAND BLAND BLAND.  Too much TENSION.  Just SING!  Let GO!  Relax!!

Imagine me playing the Elgar cello concerto with all my might for my cello guru, Prof. Uchimura, and these are the things he's shouting at me the whole time.  I fully acknowledge and accept that these have always been major flaws in my cello playing... lack of passion, blandness, tension, etc. But the more I think about a solution to this problem, the more I think they might be innate character flaws as well.  

Perhaps I'm not really a passionate person.  Maybe I'm even bland.  I'm definitely tense.  I really SHOULD sing more, and learn to let things go.  I seriously need to relax.  

So the same as I spend time in my practice room learning to release the weight of my arm into my cello string, I've decided that I need to practice channeling passion in the more figurative practice room of life.  

And this is my self revision... passion, relaxation, singing!  

4 comments:

Here And Happy! said...

How insightful...maybe I need to take up the cello. Is it cheaper than psychiatry?

Jamilyn said...

oh Mom... you know better than most how much cello costs! Are you sure you wanna do it?

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to take an acting class to get the feeling of passion? That would be a great break from the everyday "cello" life!

Staci said...

they share... a passion. :) when you come home for christmas, can we PLEASE watch that again and have a hilary and jackie reunion party???