Saturday, January 24, 2009

Waiting vs. Dating and other such thoughts

Waiting vs. Dating.  This is a topic avidly and frequently discussed by fellow MGs.  

My best friend in the whole world and "boyfriend" (hate that title) of 5ish years is serving a mission for our church in San Antonio Texas since March 2008.  We write letters back and forth, email on Mondays, and get to talk on the phone on Christmas and Mother's Day.  And that's all the contact we get.  For two years.  And I get asked questions about the status of our relationship all the time, mostly from my non-LDS Michigan music friends.  I'm pretty sure some of them think I'm making it all up.  Yeah, my imaginary boyfriend out there in Texas who I never get to see cause it's against church rules.  Others think that the limitations on our relationship are too harsh.  How in the world can a girl ever wait two years on only letters and emails?  How is a relationship supposed to last under such circumstances?  These people think I'll fold and find someone else to occupy my time.  Then a select few of them think missions sound really cool, comparing it in their minds to monks going into isolation.  They view our relationship as some sort of spiritual fairy tale, and we'll come out at the other end all zen- fused and ready for what ever comes next.  

And this is just the non-member view on the matter.  The Mormons have all sorts of other things to say about girls waiting for missionaries.  :) 

I gotta admit, I've had waiting ups and downs within the past 10 months.  At times, I've been a hardcore waiter, making packages and scrapbooking, sending weekly letters, and abstaining from other male companionship.  And I've been fine with that.  It works well for me.  Then other more recent times, I've been a wait/dater. Sending less frequent, less elaborate packages, writing less letters, and ... dating someone.  Which is a less comfortable situation to be in.  It feels nice to have a friend to fill the void left by the absent missionary.  And it's fun to have someone to talk to and hang out with.  Someone wonderful with lots and lots of good qualities.  And of course it's great to have a warm body to be close to.  BUT.  On the other hand, it's HARD.  It's hard to play with those kind of heart strings.  It's hard to open your heart to someone else.  It's hard to think of the possibility of falling in love with someone else.  It's hard to make room for such things.  It's hard to imagine a future life with anyone other than the Morris.  It's hard to share memories... certain songs, movies, dances, looks, phrases... that have been exclusive to the Nathan relationship.  It's hard to have a persistent feeling of leading-on.  It's hard to constantly have the thought of someone else in the back of your mind.  It's not fair to give someone else false hope or unclear intentions.  It's not fair when what you really want is half a country away.  It's not fair when what you think you want is in a state of consistent and rigorous personal development, so who knows what he'll be in 14 months. It's hard to not write as frequently.  It's hard to miss moments of his life.  It's hard to discuss serious matters through letters and emails.  It's hard to edit pieces of my life in letters cause I know he won't want to hear it.  It sucks ( yeah mom, it sucks) to not be as strong as I thought I could be.  It sucks to not get as much sleep as I should.  It sucks to not be doing well at my goals.  But it also sucks to talk about these things. It sucks to back up any sort of relationship.  It sucks to be lonely.  Many things about the situation suck.

So... simplify.  Dating is lame. And I don't think I'm into it anymore.  If you were thinking about asking me out anytime in the near future, don't waste your time.  The answer is no.  My heart is busy elsewhere.  I need to take time and focus on what I really need.  I need to realign and re-find my center.  I need to support my missionary... work on building the relationship that has already been one of the rocks in my life for at least two and a half years.  I need to give it the best chance it can get.  I need to not mess it up.  I need to wait.  

And that is my new found view on wait/dating.  Two thumbs down.  Friends are great.  Fantastic.  And necessary.  But dating is the opposite of those things.  At least in my situation.  And I figured it out mostly as I typed this therapeutic blog.  Thank the heavens for blogs for helping me sort through my tangled brier of tricky thoughts.  

Other thoughts.  I've been in a real country music mood lately, which is curious.  I associate country music with high school and summer time and dancing.  Not with graduate school winters and drama.  But here I am, jamming out to Keith Urban and Rascal Flatts like they were Joshua Radin and Sufjan Stevens.  I'm pretty sure this won't last long.  We'll see.

Also happiest of Birthday wishes to my dear Grandma Beckstrom and also forever pal Zach Ames.  Grandma, thanks for reading my blog!  And canning pears for me my whole life.  And for being an amazing woman for me to look up to and strive to be like.  I LOOOOVE YOU!    Zach, you know how I feel.  I'm glad we live in the same time zone.  Let's drive toward each other, meet up somewhere in Canada, grab a slurpee and catch up! 

Did I mention yet that I am playing in my favorite show of all time... The Last 5 Years... in March?  It's playing in St. Joseph, MI and I got hired to play the amazing cello part.  This is totally a pre-dream come true.  Freak, I love making money doing what I love!  

It's cold in Michigan, but the sun is shining today.  "There is sunshine in my soul!"  For some reason I'm feeling very humbled.  

I updated the Elder Morris blog with three new entries.  Feel free to go read it, if that's your thing.  It sounds like he's doing well.  

I'm celebrating Chinese New Year tonight with the fantastic Artz-Iffland family!  I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.  Can't imagine anyone else I'd rather bring in the year of the Ox with.  I was born in a year of the Ox.  How cool is that?  Happy Chinese New Year, friends and fam.  Tally Ho! 

13 comments:

Rudi said...

You're awesome, Jamilyn. I love you! You're doing a brave thing, waiting for a missionary. "I believe in a thing called love." I see that you do too.

Xin nian kaui le!
(Happy New Year!)

Rudi said...

PS - whenever I rock out to country music (which is rare), Rascal Flatts and Keith Urban are my favorites. And the Dixie Chicks.

Heather said...

Jamilyn,

This entry is absolutely awesome. I just got my first letter from my missionary today from the MTC (he left one with his mom for me before he left, so it's kind of the second letter... but I digress), and I realized how hard these next two years are going to be. I was starting to wonder if I was going to make it--your entry really turned me around. So thank you. I too am not very much into dating while waiting, I don't feel it's fair for the boy I'm out with when a boy thousands of miles away is on my mind. You are a very smart woman, your missionary is very lucky indeed. =]

Stephi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephi said...

Sorry I messed up that last entry. haha
Dear Jamilyn,
First of all, I have to tell you that I miss you SO much. I wish I could be there to listen to you because I really care, and maybe because I see in you someone that's a lot like me, a couple of years older. :) Do what your heart tells you. You know what's best, just like you told me. I admire that despite how hard it is, you always try to figure out how to best enjoy life, when you were going on dates before, and now that you're not but still enjoying all of your friends in MI. I read his blog a couple of days ago and I was thinking that he seems like such an awesome person and I can tell he loves you a lot and that you're best friends. And hearts are a tough thing to figure out, you know? Sometimes you need a break from it all. Love you. *big hugs* ttyl.

lynsie said...

Jamie (Said Really Loud and excited)
Congradulations on getting hired to play the cello for the show. That is so awsome. I wanna go so i can tell the people sitting next to me that i know her:). I am glad you are happy with what your datting or not datting desisions are. I just want you to be happy. I miss you tonz. Hey thanks for posting the NEW YEARS EVE oictures on face book I LOVE THEM. Have fun celebrating CHINES NEW YEAR.
(hey i was born in june 85 what animal am i just wondering)
miss you tons
LOve Ya
LYNS

Jamilyn said...

Lyns, you're totally an OX! Which makes this OUR LUCKY YEAR!

Here And Happy! said...

SBJ if you can find men who are really into "dating" and not "courting" you might find a kindred spirit or two with whom to pass time and fill space. Otherwise, I'm completely in agreement with your "aha". Waiting is a sacrifice. But as you mentioned, said waitee is very busily maturing and developing awesome life skills that you will need to match with some kind of growth. The question remains..."Where ya gonna get it?" I trust you will find resources to satisfy yourself. You're so unique and just a really great person! I can't imagine you becoming worn down by a little thing like waiting.
I'm proud of your ability to decide. (Doesn't mean you aren't going to leave some lovely people in the dust eh?) Congrats on your awesome Next Five Years job! Keep being brave. Love!

Adam B said...

Congrats on the job!!! Do you realize that you haven't responded to any of my texts or messages? I am sure you are very busy...it sure is interesting to see things from the other side of the fence! I am not "the Morris" and I haven't even straightened out my thoughts on the matter, but if you ever want to chat about mission life from my side of the fence feel free to call. By the way congrats on making tough decisions.

Holly said...

Wow girl, love your blog! Such a hard decision to make, but it sounds like you know what you are doing! I love the perspecting you put everything in on this post. Anyways, keep hanging in there, only a little bit to your year mark yay!!

Your fellow MG,
Holly

Amber said...

Jamilyn! I found your blog through Facebook and was excited since I don't have many friends on my blog. Which is schmamber.blogspot.com. It's not very exciting or cool and I have been bad at updating it but I'm trying to be better. So there you go if you're interested. I'm so glad to hear you've worked through some tough things! I can't say I know how you feel, but my sister waiting for her missionary and they are now happily married! She dated a few people but always her heart was with him! I wish I could hear you play in The Last 5 years. I absolutely LOVE hearing the cello and LOVE watching you play! (since you are so amazing)Good luck!

Ashley said...

James, I've been looking for an opportunity to come visit, so maybe I actually will come see you play in The Last 5 Years. Or maybe you'll be so busy with your fun new job that it would be a bad time to visit...? Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're working through all this. Just forget boys and focus on things that are much more fun and much less complicated. Love you!

Zaq said...

yay for canadian slurpees. i've been told they taste better.