Monday, February 23, 2009

The Eleventh Hour


When I was growing up, we had an awesome picture book at my house called The Eleventh Hour about an elephant who has a big fancy party for his eleventh birthday.  And he invites 11 friends.  And then during the course of the party, CRIME HAPPENS, and someone steals his birthday feast!  And then you have to search for clues in the amazing illustrations to find which of the 11 friends is the culprit.  The answer, with all the evidence,  is sealed up in a confidential envelope in the back of the book.  I'm not sure if we ever opened the envelope, but we're positive the mouse did it.  This book is SUPER rad, and I still think of it anytime anyone uses the expression "It's down to the eleventh hour"...  Which it seems to be for me right now.  

Spring break starts at the end of this week.  Which means that this week is full of papers and midterms and performances.  Stress.  ARGH!  However, at this eleventh hour, I usually seem to come up with my best work.  Indeed I am motivated by pressure.  Why can't I be motivated by something more comfortable?  

And in 3 days, Nathan will have been gone for 11 months.  Woah.  11 months is a long time.  And I really really really miss my best friend.  But for some reason, the 13 remaining months don't seem too daunting.  I want time to stay fast, but if anything, I feel like I don't have enough time!  Weird?  Yes.  

Well, maybe not so weird.  Cause after April 2010 Nathan will be home and I'll be graduating, and THEN WHAT?  That's the REAL 11th hour moment.  Who knows where I'll live or what kind of job I'll get or if I'll get married.  Good heavens.  Why am I worrying about this right now?   

It's also the 11th hour to figure out summer plans.  Most applications/auditions to summer music programs are due a week from today.  And I still don't know for sure where I'm applying or what I'll play for auditions.  And I don't know by what means I'll make my recordings.  This is usually a recipe for not getting in.  Yikes.  I need to work this out real soon.  


Man,I gotta go to class!  I don't have time to blog.  Why am I like this?

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Jamilyn I miss you girl. Love your blog. I'm an elementary education major. I need to remember that book. 11 months? That's so great! Such an accomplishment. Yesterday was James' 2/3s done. I was looking at your pictures. Your Nathan is a cutie. He is lucky to have you. Love you girl. Miss you.

Here And Happy! said...

Why? Bad genes.

Adam B said...

Good question...why are WE like this? Good luck with all of your eleventh hour stuff! Don't you just love how all of the stress and tests all fall in the same week without fail? A recipe for disaster! Good Luck!

fsqanne said...

...and if there are "cello genes" that can be passed from a cello mom to her progeny, well.... you get it from me, too!

Remember to take it one step at a time, and make lists lists lists to stay in control of it all.

And drop me a line to let me know how things are going with the issue I wrote you about the other day.

Zaq said...

As for your summer plans - I hear New York's beautiful that time of year. Just sayin'...

Brooke said...

I agree. 11 months seems like so long, yet at the same time it's crazy to me that it's been that long already. And the next 13 months don't seem too bad. I can't wait to start counting down honestly. Anyways happy 11 months tomorrow. :)

cuzimmom said...

Just remeber, Jami, I didn't graduate until I was 40...You have me beat by a few years anyway. Just be sure you enjoy the ride while you are at it!!
Aunt Jan