Welp. it's official. Our favorite Elder Nathan Matthew Morris has now been a missionary for 365 days. One year down and one to go... in Mormon slang, today is "hump day." Woot! A year without Nathan has been quite the cause for Jamilyn retrospection. 525,600 minutes... that seemingly small amount of time has seen some significantly life-altering events:
-the end of my graduate school audition process- including my last audition, my acceptance into schools, and my choice to go to WMU.
-my senior recital
-my college graduation
-my mom's cancer diagnosis
-my first real grown up cello job
-my official declaration of vegetarianism
-my epic move to Michigan
-my first day of graduate school
and last but not least...
-the purchase of my sweet Gloria!
(Plus millions and millions of other day-to-day events!)
What a year it's been! When I think about March 26, 2008, it doesn't seem that long ago. But thinking about everything between then and now, it seems like an eternity!! Time is a fascinating thing, isn't it? So what does that mean for the NEXT 365-ish days? Fast or slow?
I've heard that the second year flies by! And I'm totally ready. Let's put time on turbo speed so that I can see him walk through that arrival gate, so I can hold his hand and see him smile and hear him talk. Yeah, talking to him is THE THING I miss the most. Let this year speed away so that soon I can talk to him all day and all night and not even care about time or sleep or anything but him.
On the other hand... once he's home, that means I'll be graduating soon. Which means I'll need to find a job. And be a grown up. And decide where I'm going to live. And maybe be a wife? There are so many things I want to learn and get better at before it's time to be married. And so much money to save a debt to pay off. How does anyone do it?
And then I think to myself... Woah girl! Have some faith! Have some perspective! "Take a breath, take a step, take a chance.... take your time!" Why do I worry??
One year. Twelve months. Three hundred and sixty-five days. 525,600 minutes. That's all it is. Time. And at this moment in time, I'm absolutely happy to be standing on top of this 'waiting for a missionary' mountain, looking down.
I didn't mean for this post to go this direction, but I get thinking and typing and I usually surprise myself with what comes out. "So there ya go!" (a Nathanish phrase) These are my thoughts- one year in.
11 comments:
Good heck girl!!! One year down.... LESS then a year to go. Second year really does fly by (in my opinion). So excited for you!
Good post Jamilyn! Happy year mark to us, and Nathan, and Nathan. haha. I agree with all you said because I'm at the exact same point. March 26, 08 doesn't seem that long ago, but when you think about all that has happened it does. It's sure crazy. But yes very glad to finally be standing at the top of this hill. It feels good. We've got this. Just one year. :)
congrats! So exciting! Next March our boys will be home!!!!! :D happiness!
love this post!!! halfway there... ahh you can do it girl!!! all downhill from here! and trust me- it really does fly! seriously insane how fast it goes. 7 months left and i hyperventilate everytime i think that though. LOVE!
t
Congrats, Jami! That's so exciting! And I can see how the train of thought does lead to nervousness. But take it from someone who already has a grown up job--things will fly by and you'll take it one day at a time, and you'll realize that it's not all that scary in the end. Although, I will say, enjoy your freedom while you can!!! Love you! And dude, come home soon! I miss ya!
I remember hump day...suddenly I wasn't through enough college, I wasn't smart enough or skinny enough, I wasn't prepared to be a wife or (heaven forbid!) a mother! I wanted to travel, maybe go on mission, teach...and all that dreamin' floated so easily up into the sky as I walked up that airport concourse just one year later, holding the warm hand of my best friend! I highly recommend it.
YAY for the one year mark!!! Congrats James!! :)
jamilyn! i sure am proud of you for all of the things you have accomplished. as far as being a grown up, don't rush it. its not worth it. just enjoy a time and place. nathan will be home before you know it. and in the meantime, i'm here to talk about anything and everything! LOVE YOU!
Congrats girl! haha I love you.. We don't talk nearly enough.. We should find some time to remedy said situation.
Hooray! I am so glad that the day has finally come! Also...so sad about about your car...that is the worst. I hate feeling so vulnerable.
Post a Comment