Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Fair Dose of Karma and Reminiscence

I came home from school Friday afternoon, parked my car behind my house and made special care to lock my doors like I always do... "in case all of my junk gets stolen," I used to say.  My '97 Ford Escort with multiple dents and chipping paint is definitely not fancy, not the kind of car I'd expect to get busted into.  

Saturday afternoon I was leaving to meet up with some friends for lunch.  I walked out to my car and was surprised to see that the back drivers side door was open.  And both drivers side doors were unlocked.  Hmmm.  Curious.  Then I noticed a screw driver on the floor by the gas pedal and I thought "Silly Nick must have left this here when he was fixing my broken rear view mirror.  Mental note- return screw driver."  I was in a hurry, so I turned on the car and glanced toward the clock to see if I was going to be late for lunch.  And where the clock usually is, I saw this: 



Someone STOLE my CD player... and my AC/Heater!!! And left the gruesome wire guts dangling out!  Finally I started to make sense of all the clues that I should have put together in the first place.  The open door... the screw driver... Ugh!   And I was really upset.  

And I'm still kind of upset.  But driving around in my now silent car has allowed me some time to ponder things a little bit.  I think I'm a believer in Karma- or at least the principle of 'what goes around comes around'.  All winter long I made fun of Nick's BMW for lacking a heater and a CD player.  And now that Nick is out of the picture... look at my Escort.  Lacking CD player and Heater.  Correlation of karma?  Perhaps.  Or maybe it's this:  Just the other day I was thinking to myself "I wish my ipod to radio adaptor worked better.  It's so annoying to have to listen to static sometimes!"  And now it's gone... stolen along with the rest.  Is fate telling me to be more appreciative for what I have?  Or maybe it's God very boldly telling me to turn off my loud music and take time to listen to my thoughts every once in a while.  

OR MAYBE it's just some Kalamazoo hoodlum desperately trying to sell my bottom of the line CD player and static-inducing ipod adapter for drug money.  Sad life.   He (or maybe she) is going to be real disappointed the next time he gets the itch to steal and realizes that I have his screw driver.  Karma.  

Also worth mentioning.... Exactly a year ago today was Easter 2008.  The day Nathan gave his farewell talk, the day Nyle came with me to Relief Society, the day I didn't win the Easter hunt, and the dreaded day I said "see ya later" to my best friend for two whole years!!  After a good talk in the hammock, an impromptu photo shoot in our matching scrubs, a sweet dance in the street (with music coming from my car CD player... ok I'll stop now) and many a great kiss, I somehow made myself drive back to Logan knowing that I wouldn't see him again for at least 730 days.  *sigh* Bittersweet memories.  I've been thinking a lot about this today.  

He actually didn't go into the MTC until March 26, so his "hump day" will be on Thursday.  Stay tuned... more Nathan blogging is on the way! In the meantime, here are some pictures from March 23, 2008:
      

8 comments:

Nikki said...

My favorite line was "the gruesome wire guts dangling out" haha I thought that was genius. I'm sorry someone stole your cd player and ac/heater. That is awful. However, I enjoyed reading your attitude. Jamilyn you are easily one of my favorite people. love you girl. and congrats for being so close to your year! That is SUPER exciting. I think time flies after the year. It feels like James's year was like 2 months ago, but it was 5!

Zaq said...

I'm gonna say, as much "good" as you seem to find out of this, I agree with your last conclusion - hoodlum, straight up hoodlum.

Staci said...

you and i need to talk again. i need you. :( i'm terribly sorry to hear about your car. what a pain!!! but it is very karmic. things always "work out" right? one more year and not only will you be DONE with your masters, your best friend will be coming home. you can do it. and in the meantime, lets talk.

Adam B said...

Sad times! Sorry to hear about your radio/heat/ac those things are all over rated anyway, right? Good luck with all your apps and summer decisions!

Brooke said...

2 days Jamilyn 2 days! AHH! This week has been so much reminiscing (I don't know how to spell it!) for me. Like oh a year ago we did this or that. It's weird to think about. But starting after Thursday, we are on the downhill. We rock! And we love our Nathans' :)

Here And Happy! said...

Dang child. I know nothing about your life. What a rotten experience. How's Estelle? Was she violated too? Why Don't You Ever Talk To Your Mother?!!! Are you above or beyond consolation?So...the things that are gone from your car are exactly the things Nick is lacking in his car huh? Hmmm...

Ovalnate said...

That really blows. I had an Escort with this same radio and it was like 100 dollars just for an adapter to put in a new one. I bet they're a hot commodity on the black market. Total weirdos, though. Who steals a factory radio? I mean, really.
And who/what is Estelle? Is that your car? Because I totally named my motorcycle Estelle.

-"Nauvoo" Nathan

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamilyn.......haven't been in touch for sometime. Sounds like you are experiencing those "good with the bad" times. Has it gotten a couple of degrees warmer? Braden was out shoveling my snow with flip flops and shorts. He still claims it isn't cold around here!