Thursday, June 4, 2009

From pinching to pesto

Some of you may know that I am a beginning herb gardener!  I've always had a dream to have a cute little window box full of herbs to cook with, and I started living my dream this spring.  About a month ago, I poked some little oregano and basil seeds in the ground, not really knowing what I was doing.  And they grew!  And grew and grew!  And they ended up looking like this:

The little seed envelopes that they came in recommended that I "pinch" the herbs early to promote bushy growth.  And I had no idea what that really meant.  So I just simply didn't do it.  But then I got to thinking... ya know, my herbs really should be more bushy than this.  Maybe I should investigate this pinching process.  In pre-school I had a real problem with pinching, and ever since then, I've tried to abstain.  But as I researched and learned about herb pinching, I found out that you can never pinch too much!  So I decided to go pinch crazy on my cute little un-bushy basil and oregano babies.  To pinch is simply to harvest the mature leaves at the top of the plant to give opportunity for smaller leaves to branch out and grow too.  So I pinched. And I pinched a lot!  And now this is what my herbs look like:
They look kind of sad and naked, huh?  But everything I read about harvesting herbs says that they will be just fine.  They'll be better than fine, cause they will grow stronger and bigger now.  I guess all I can do is wait for the new growth.  But all is not sad in the world of pinching.  Look at my wonderful first harvest.  And try to imagine the amazingly potent smell of fresh pinched basil:
Mmmm.  And with this fresh harvest, I used my skillz of culinary adventure and created a wonderful batch of homemade pesto!  And it was wonderful.  I am thoroughly looking forward to many more pinchings, harvestings, and pesto-ings in the future!
Things are going well in Michigan. The sun is out and the sky is blue!  I'm just job hunting, cello practicing, and MG-ing.  I have a new interest in long-distance bike riding.  I can barely go 23 miles now, but by the end of summer, I'm hoping to make it all 38 miles to Lake Michigan! I'm happy and staying busy.  But I miss my far away friends and fam.  Anyone want to come visit??

8 comments:

cuzimmom said...

Is there someone that can bring you home after you make it the 38 miles to Lake Michigan? Luv ya! Aunt Jan

Nikki said...

38 miles? Crazy lady! I could never do that! You are inspiring. I love your garden... again inspiring. I couldn't grow anything if my life depended on it haha. Love you girl!

Ashley said...

*hand shoots in the air* Me! Me! Pick me! I wanna come visit! Let me know a weekend this summer and I'll get it into my schedule. Also, I'm preparing to purchase a bike, so maybe if I work hard enough, you and I can bike to Lake Michigan together. But 38 miles on a bike? Seems like it'd take forever!

Adam B said...

Don't you have the little green thumb? Home made pesto sounds good..especially if you are a veggie gal, huh. Well we miss you!!!

fsqanne said...

I wish I had plans to go to MI this summer! I'd love to see you. And your herbs, too! You should see my garden - it's enormous! Thank heavens I have loyal students around to help me week and water when I'm on the road. Miss you, SBJ!

fsqanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Beckstroms said...

Yum Yum as Caroline would say! We would LOVE to come visit and share some herbs with you...we'll see it we can make the 8 hour detour on our way back east! It would be so fun! Way to go on the herbs!

Here And Happy! said...

Ooooh! I do! I do! Pick me! Pick me! Think I could ride your old bike all the way to Michigan? In a heartbeat I'd be there. I'll look at July and if there is any human way....