
I spent the last few days in BEAUTIFUL Traverse City Michigan. It was wonderful and relaxing and gorgeous. My cell phone was dead, my ipod was dead, and I didn't even think to bring a camera! So here is a picture story... using pictures that I didn't take. :)
This is me and my pal Zack, who grew up in Traverse City. This picture was taken almost exactly a year ago when we were stand partners in the Michigan Youth Arts Festival Orchestra. I convinced him to come to Traverse City with me on Sunday to go to a chamber music concert. He had to go up anyway for his Dad's birthday. :) So I followed his little red mini van all the way up US 131 in record breaking time. It was a beautiful drive, and so liberating to drive fast on an open road to anywhere but Kalamazoo!

And who's Chamber Music concert did we drive all that way for? None other than the wonderful Fry Street Quartet!! Quartet cellist Anne was my cello guru, mom away from home, chamber music coach, and LIFE coach during my years at USU, and continues to be a wonderful friend and musical resource. When I heard they were coming to Michigan, even though Traverse is more than 3 hours north of Kalamazoo, I knew I had to be there! And it was COMPLETELY worth it. Even Zack thought so. I miss hearing them play!! Beethoven, BARBER, and melt-your-face-off beautiful solos in the second movement of the Dvorak American quartet. *sigh*

Immediately following the concert, there was a reception and chocolate tasting at Jacques Torres chocolate shop. This is not your average chocolate. It's like heaven melted down and mixed with ... I don't know, everything wonderful! We sampled dark Belgian chocolate, "Love Potion #9," dark chocolate mint tea truffles, and "Wicked" hot chocolate. YUM! It was so fun to just sit in a delightful chocolate shop, surrounded by little old music lovers, and catch up on life with Anne Francis while sipping the worlds best hot chocolate. After the reception, Zack and I were invited to join the quartet and the administration of Chamber Music North for dinner. LUCKY, huh! So we spent the rest of the night eating delicious food, and MORE delicious food, having good conversation with great company. And by the time we were done, it was too late to safely drive back to Kalamazoo, so Zack graciously invited me to spend the night at his parent's house.

...which included a midnight Meijer run for spend-the-night essentials, 1:30 am snacking on brie and french bread, two games of "Jamilyn-sucks-at-chess," and morning of fetch with adorable dog Griffin. Then Zack showed me some of the coolest places in Traverse. We drove through the historic district looking at beautiful houses, drove up the peninsula to look at the water (it really is as blue as it looks in that picture! Amazing!), stopped at 2 Lads winery, admired the cherry blossoms, visited the lighthouse, and drove back on the other side. Seriously, this place is so pretty!

When we got back from our long drive, it was time to celebrate father Boyt's birthday. They convinced me to stay for birthday dinner at a place called "Knot just a bar" which is right on the water of Lake Michigan. I sampled my first ever smelt- which apparently is a small and delicious fish, and I had an amazingly tasty blackened salmon salad. These Boyts are awesome people, let me tell ya! I'm so grateful that I got to spend a few days with them having fun! I hope I didn't wear out my welcome.
I drove back to Kalamazoo, listening to Interlochen public radio for most of the way. When the static took over, I turned off the radio to sort through some hefty thoughts. Life feels big right now. Decisions are big, changes are big, relationships feel big. But lucky for me to have a few beautiful days with a friend in Traverse City, where time seemed on pause, and pending life seemed miles away!
3 comments:
This is a full, lucky, insightful memory-made-to-order eh? So glad you have a few of these. You'll need them later when you're most frequent conquest is to conquer Mount House-and-Laundry!(If you choose that life, I mean).
My Uncle is from the historic neighborhood in Traverse. He was born at the hospital up there, and his father originally owed a few of the gas stations up there!!
I'm glad that you got to go and have an awesome time! Traverse City is always my escape from the world.
So glad you had a great time, J! This all sounds like amazing fun!!
Post a Comment