
So it's been a week since America (or at least Utah) celebrated Independence Day! But more exciting and significant in my little life, it's been a week since Mr. Nathan Morris
asked me to marry him!!
I'm sure it's no news to most of you. And we've gotten a lot of "it's about time" kind of responses from friends and fam. And what with it being so close to him coming home from his mission, and since I wrote to him the whole two years, and since we've been dating since we graduated from high school, and since we live in Utah, I guess the whole thing is kind of trite and expected. And I usually try to steer clear of trite and expected.
But in this case, I'm thrilled!
Believe me, I've thought through plenty of doubts- We're still so young, I don't have enough good wife skillz, we don't make enough money, he still has a lot of school to finish, I'm just starting a time consuming doctoral degree, we're not ready. But the more I tried to come to terms with that, the more I thought -- it's absolutely true. We're not ready. We're young and poor and inexperienced. But when will I ever feel ready? If you know me, or have read my blog for any significant amount of time, you know that BIG life decisions like this are absolutely not easy for me to make. Deciding to get married is a leap of faith into the scary unknown. Not just scary, but exciting and wonderful and adventurous, and BIG. And I can't think of anyone I'd rather make the jump with than my best friend in the whole world.
And so, on July 3, I was woken up by unexpected knocking on my bedroom door. I got up, and a trail of rose pedals led from my bedroom to the bathroom, where Nathan had set up a wonderfully romantic bubble bath for me. After the bubble bath, the rose pedal path had changed, and now led to the kitchen, where Nathan had made my favorite breakfast- blueberry cherry smoothies. After breakfast, we spent the rest of the day just having a blast together. We played some Wii Mario Kart, ate Cafe Rio in the canyon, went on a fun little hike, browsed IKEA, went swimming at a water hole with a rope swing, had a BBQ, and then went four-wheeling up into the mountains at sunset. When we got to the top of the mountain, we had a gorgeous view of Utah Valley. Nathan pulled me aside and got down on one knee. As soon as he got down, in my typical Jamilyn fashion, I said "is this how you're going to do it?" And he said "YES this is how I'm going to do it!!" Then he said some really sweet things, asked me if I would marry him, and I said YES! He slipped the perfect ring on my finger, and I kissed him. Then, from the top of the mountain, we watched 4 different firework shows, including Stadium of Fire and Thanksgiving Point. Fireworks are my absolute favorite. It was gorgeous.
On the late drive back from Payson, with a new ring on my hand, and a new fiance in the seat next to me, I couldn't help but think how ironic it was to get engaged, what many might think of as a loss of independence, on the very night that the country celebrates independence. But since then, I've realized this: marrying Nathan will never equal a loss of my independence. He respects my thoughts and goals and wishes and wants to help me achieve them. He knows me better than to try to dominate me or control me, and it's not even in his nature. I know I can survive and be happy on my own. But having him around sure enhances happiness. And I think that I probably enhance his happiness too.
And that's what I want. Commitment to independently enhance each other's happiness, support each other's dreams, and witness each other's lives. Not dependance on each other, but fidelity and loyalty to each other. Forever.
And so I'll marry Nathan Morris. On December 18, 2010. (Same anniversary as my Grandma and Grandpa M) in the Salt Lake Temple.
♥
13 comments:
I am so happy, happy, happy for you two!!
yay!!! congrats!!! december 18!! wahooo
Congrats james. I am so happy for you. Iknow that you and Nathen will be so happy together and as for your doubts they are normal and totaly duable things to overcome. NAd for having tonz of school to finish and being really busy with that just alows you to be creative in making uo ways to see each other and it helps you value the time you have together more. Ithink it has helped me and steve stay in love with each other more. good luck and i love the both of you.
yay for married friends for real
Congrats to the both of you!!! It sounds like the perfect time to be getting married and engaged, when you don't think that it is. That is the same situation that Kari and I had, and when we were engaged we moved our wedding date three or four different times. It seemed right to wait for a year, but then we didn't want to wait that long so we kept moving it up. But it seems like the two of you have the perfect date already set.
Then next thing you know a year and half latter you just graduated and Nathan still has his school left, and the both of you are watching Christmas Devotional and after watching you get the impression that you should start a family and you still don't have money and the time doesn't seem right again but you just have the impression that this is what you are suppose to do. Or at least that is what happened with Kari and me.
All three of us are extremely excited for the both of you and hope the best for you!!!
Great story! I am so excited for both of you. Married life is such hard work, but it is so rewarding. Congrats!!
What a cute post. I still have the feeling of being connected at the heart to you, because I get the butterfly cloud just reading that this happened in your life. I'm so glad you're happy, glad you get to marry your best friend. I'm still in love with mine--more than ever! Don't worry about the natural doubts you've had. They're quickly replaced with LIFE. Life happens! Aren't you excited????!!!!
congrats girl!! i'm so excited for you! and december 18 is the day after my birthday!! hooray!
Congratulations Jamilyn! :)
congrats! and yeah for December weddings. We'll celebrate our 7th anniversary 5 days after your wedding and I loved getting married during the holidays. Good luck with all the preparations!!
I married my best friend and I must say it makes the journey sooo much fun...or maybe it's being young and poor;) What I found is that even though I had to compromise some of my educational goals during the first year of marriage and put them aside so we could afford Jeffs school. I was able to do things the next two that I was never able to do before. For me getting married actually made me a better student and I got a 4.0 my first semester back at school after a break. And prepared five recitals in 5 semesters listened to me cry many a night when I was frustrated questioned my major. But I did the same for him and having someone who listens to you unconditionally with an eternal love to back it up is something that can really help your educational goals!
And don't worry about wife skillz I am sure you have more skillz than you give yourself credit...BTW what would those be?
Congrats to such a happy, beautiful couple!!
Hey, if a naive 18-year-old can get married and be happy, you can do it no problem. :) And YAY for December weddings (our anniversary is Dec 17). I'm so happy for you Jamilyn. So happy. That you're in love, getting married, have an awesome job, and are going to be a doctor. Miss you too, lady!
well getting married in 2010 will have some tax benefits, as we discussed! way to incorporate family planning with tax planning.
try to have a kid in 2011, then that will be even more beneficial to your taxes!
Post a Comment