Saturday, March 12, 2011

Parable of the NeuroGasm

Nathan and I are reading a wonderful book right now called The 5 Languages of Love by Gary Chapman... thanks Katie for the recommendation! I'm sure lots of you have heard about it- Dr. Chapman's philosophy is that every person "speaks" love in one of 5 languages- words of affirmation, acts of service, gifts, quality time, or physical touch. As we were reading the chapter on gifts, I couldn't help but think about how horrible I am at speaking this language. Also, the more we read, the more I was pretty positive that gifts are Nathan's primary love language. And I knew I had to start doing better if I want Nathan to feel loved.

Which brings me to the parable of the NeuroGasm.

A man and his wife had been married for nearly 3 months. They were happy and in love. One night, on the way home from a long day of work and school, the wife had a fun idea. She would stop by the 7-11 and grab a NeuroGasm for her husband. She knew that NeroGasms were his new favorite treat- definitely a gift to be craved. As she approached the 7-11, many doubts crossed her mind. She thought about how she just wanted to get home quickly to spend time with her husband. She thought about how this gift would probably have to come out of the small food budget for the month. She selfishly thought about buying them BOTH a treat, and also about how that would negate the specialness of the gift. With all of these silly thoughts in her head, she passed the 7-11 and drove home without the NeuroGasm at all. She beat her husband home, and patiently waited for him, reading a book. When he came through the door, he excitedly said "I got you a gift!" He pulled from his backpack a nice cold NeuroGasm and presented it to his wife. With astonishment, and sheepish gratitude, she took it, and they shared it together. But how great would have been their joy if they each had their own NeroGasm, gifted from the other? And I ask you, who loves the other more?

I'm a lucky girl, huh? Next time I won't let my silly doubts get in the way of gifting my lover. Cause two NeruoGasms are better than one.

7 comments:

Nikki said...

what is neruogasm? I've never heard of it before.

Elisa & Josh said...

That's a good idea to read that book together. Look at you..been married 3 months, me 3 years but you are teaching ME things. :)

Katie said...

Hey! I forgot I mentioned that book a while ago, I'm happy you like it!

Here And Happy! said...

I'm glad someone is getting credit for recommending that book to you! Every time I read it, I think, "Wow, I should read that again. Right now." Together is probably the most productive way to read it. In your opinion, what is your love language?

The Beckstroms said...

You guys are so cute! I loved your favorite things too, we have a lot of the same favorites :) method items, that magazine is to DIE for, BR, dove, baby lotion, I could go on. Love to know these fun things about you! You are dear to us Jamilyn and I am lucky to call you a sister!

Karlie Ann Ady said...

sadie sadie married lady I finally stocked my way to your blog. First of all, bang is fun- you should try family business (pronounced bidness- it's important.) Secondly- cracklin oat bran is super delish although I secretly wish it looked less like dog food and finally- I have to admit I was a kinda like "whaaa?" when I read the title nerogasm but I figured if it was sold at the 7-11 it couldn't be that racey. Although you never know... tell nate hi!

Zaq said...

Great book. Keep in mind that while Nate might be a gifter when it comes to giving love, he might prefer receiving one of the other ways. And I think you are pretty good at giving gifts - might not be store bought, but always with utmost thought and sincerity.