Saturday, September 3, 2011

Miracle

My mom has cancer.  
She has been fighting it (which is a term she hates) since 2008.
Sometimes she feels well.
Sometimes she teaches kindergarden.
Sometimes she works on her Masters degree.
Sometimes she plants flowers and plays with her grandkids.
But sometimes she doesn't do any of those things.
Sometimes she feels miserable.
Sometimes she hurts.
Sometimes she throws up.
Sometimes she hangs out in the hospital all week
hooked up to IVs and full of medicine.
Sometimes the medicine seems like it's not doing any good.
And she still hurts, and still throws up.
And it seems like no one knows what to do to help.

I know some people don't believe in miracles.
I know some people think that there isn't a God
And that he doesn't hear prayers
Or take requests.
But let me tell you
I know God hears me.
And he can make miracles.
One night, last week, she was in miserable pain.
She was full of drugs that weren't doing anything
But making her act and feel strange.
And the MRI announced cancer in new and scary places.
We felt scared and worried and a little bit hopeless.

Nathan and I got a call that night from my oldest sister
Inviting us to fast and pray for my mom.
With lumps in our throats and tears in our eyes
We got on our knees and begged God for many things.
Comfort
Healing
Relief
Time
Hope
Strength
Faith
And then we waited for a miracle.

And we got one.
The next day was the best day she has had in weeks.
She went almost all day with no pain/vomiting meds.
She had almost no pain at all.
She went on three walks all the way to the end of the 9th floor hall.
She ate most of her food.
She sat up and visited and laughed.
And nothing could explain why she suddenly felt so great.  
Except a miracle.

Things haven't been magically fixed.
She's still in the hospital.
Her pain has come back and she still throws up.
Insurance hasn't approved the latest surgery she needs.
And she still feels like crap.

But I know that God hears me.
And he hears my family,
And he loves my Mom.
Things aren't hopeless.
And even if it's only for one day,
Miracles Can Happen.


11 comments:

Melissa K. said...

This was beautiful. :-)

Grandma Susie said...

I'm sending lots of love your way......life has lots of hard parts but lots of wonderful parts too!

Staci said...

ahh sweet james. your family definitely has my prayers and fasting. love you!

Ashley said...

James, I love you. And I love your mom. I think about her and your family so much, and I'm always amazed by her and your strength. You're all in my prayers!

Godfrey's said...

Aww I am so sorry to hear that about your mom! We will keep her in our prayers as well!

Jenete said...

I am glad you mom got a little miracle in her life. My Grandma is fighting cancer right now and I feel helpless being so far away. But praying for miracles and for her to have some good days as she goes through her treatment has been a way that I can help her. I hope and pray your mom gets many more miracle days!

Katie said...

You and your mom are in our prayers. I am so glad you shared this with us. God does hear our prayers.

Ranie said...

Hey Jamilyn! Thank you for posting this. You are such an inspiration to me- your way with the words is just completely wonderful. I too believe in miracles! It is sometimes hard to see that in the midst of trials though.
On a different note- I think I saw you at the Rocket Summer concert in Logan, but I wasn't sure if it was you... I didn't want to go hug a random person if it wasn't you... if it was I am so so sad I didn't come say hi!! Much love and prayers!

The Oldroyd's said...

Love that! Thanks for sharing. I know miracles happen, I have seen them. I love your mom and you. You guys are in our prayers. Sending lots of love your way! ♥

Erin the Mom said...

J, thank you for posting this. I think you have opened the floodgates for me to post about my feelings about all this, which I have wanted to do for a long, long time. And I think we need to record a daily miracle, because they are happening every day! Mom said she wants to; lets encourage her. Love you, Sis.

Elisa & Josh said...

Thanks for writing that. I'm so sorry that you and your family are having to go through this. I will keep your mom, and you and your family in my prayers. You are a strong woman Jamilyn! You're awesome.