I did play in the Guest Orchestra for the Michigan Youth Arts Festival last weekend. That was fun. It was a college All-State-ish orchestra where the supposed "best orchestra players" from Michigan universities were invited to come accompany the MYAF concerto competition winners. However, I don't think anyone from U of M or MSU graced us with their presence. But because of that, I was able to lead the cello section, which was fun!! Not to mention, it was a good opportunity to build my resume and repertoire, and make a few bucks doing it. And I've decided that Zack Boyt and I need to be stand partners forever. The end.
Remember when I first moved to Michigan and I lived in the party apartment for two weeks with the constant beer pong and loud animal sex roommates? Well... congrats to roommate Allison, who just gave birth to a 10 lb. baby boy! I can't help but notice that it's almost exactly 9 months ago that I lived there with them. I probably overheard that conception. Weird and gross.
I bought a bike. It's a hybrid Raleigh Venture 3.0 that I have named Snow White. It's so fun to ride and I'm sure we'll have great adventures this summer. Woot! Nathan tells me that my thighs will be amazing. lol. Oh jeez.
You may have noticed that I have new summer goals on my blog side bar. I'm excited to get working on them and become a better person by the end of August. None of them are cello goals. I'm going to make an entirely different list of cello goals, cause I've gotta get a lot done. Recital, you may ask? I'll letcha know.
Mothers day was great, wasn't it? Church was fantastic, then I took an entirely too long nap. I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing, and to my delight, it was Elder Morris!! We had a nice long talk about what ever... and this is my absolute favorite thing in the world to do. I could talk to that man till the day I die. And after April 2010, I think I just might. :)
And the Sound of Music was on TV!!! And I watched the whole thing!!! I don't think I've watched that since... maybe since Jr. High. Man, it's good. What a classic! And I totally didn't mean to cry when Captain VonTrapp sings Edelweiss, but I couldn't help it. And I woke up this morning singing "I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN SUNSHINE!! I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN RAIN!"
And I got to think about all of the great things I love about my Mother. I am a lucky girl, because seriously, my mom rocks. She loves life and loves everything else. Everything she does, she does with passion. She is great with little children and animals. She taught me to know who I am and to be it. She taught me to be open minded and to learn things for myself. She taught me, and continues to teach me about faith and hope. She is an amazing example to me of constant self-progression. From her I've inherited the gifts of procrastination and perfectionism. But also optimism and spontaneity, creativity, love of music, fast driving, and tender-heartedness. She taught me to read and to love books. I love poetry because of her. I love art because of her. I love John Denver because of her. She prayed for me to come to our family... I love that. She still prays for me every day, I'm pretty sure. She loves me no matter what stupid mistakes I make again and again. She loves me even though I am a vegetarian and I live in Michigan and I play the cello. She lets me follow my dreams and she believes in me. Plus she has cancer, and she LIVED! I know she doesn't like being celebrated for living through cancer, but I think it's worth celebrating, so I do. And we bond over American Idol. And I love her.
I had a meeting with the director of the Art Department this morning to discuss my placement as a Graduate Assistant in the Art Department next year. Perhaps I'll be editing art films, or recording film soundtracks, or helping to manage the department budget, or cataloging the art collection. Man, what ever I end up doing is going to be something completely different than my cello teaching assistantship. But I'm excited to learn and diversify my skillz.
And I FINALLY have an interview with the people from Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp this afternoon. Jeez, I applied FOREVER ago. If they offer me a teaching/playing position, I think I'll take it. Otherwise, it's not worth my time I don't think. I'd rather just stay in Kzoo and do my thing.
And that's what's going on in the life of Jamilyn... May 2009.
Love you all!
5 comments:
I love you Jamilyn... that's funny about your roommate. You should come to byu and live with me! I promise I won't get pregnant haha...Is the blue lake one is Utah?
Pretty much died at the pregger part. Hahahaha!
baahaaaa.
We're listed as Sarah and Nauvoo Nathan.
Loooove.
PS we were discussing it...and if you aren't at our wedding. we're not having it.
heh.
ok well maybe not.
but you're basically the reason for our wonderful relationship!
I wouldn't have gone if you hadn't gone with me! :)
Life goes on.....and you are having the time of your life I can tell. You are so at home in Kalamazoo and doing what you are doing. You have almost one year under your belt and look at what you have accomplished!!! You go girl!
You're killin' me Jayze...I laughed and cried all through this post. BFF
Post a Comment