Hi blog friends! Happy Monday afternoon. So, ya know how I am the graduate assistant in Time Based Media? Well, today the professor is sick, and she emailed me this morning to tell me that I will be the substitute teacher today. It's fine, because the students are working on their sound art projects. So I'm just here basically to monitor the computer lab, and answer any questions they may have on sound art... for the NEXT THREE HOURS! Not going anywhere for a while? Grab a snickers. Except today I have a bag full of almonds, some fruit leather, and my Sigg jug with some water in it. I'm a happy camper. Let me tell you about my life. :)
It seems like a lot of my friends are unhappy these days. Come on guys, it's not even winter yet! How about if you ARE happy, leave a blog comment and tell me why, or what's doing it for ya. I could probably use some of that in my life.
**Not that I'm not happy. Cause I am. I just need to know that other people that I care about are happy too. That's all.**

Know what's making me happy? I went and saw the movie Where the Wild Things Are this weekend. It is definitely unique! I'm sure there are lots of people out there who don't like it, or don't understand it. But I really connected to it. I thought it was hilarious, and honest, and heart warming. I believe that I am a fellow wild thing. Does anyone know where I can get a full body wolf suit like unto Max?
The picture at the top of this blog is me showing my inner wild thing.
Also, if anyone wants to talk about the deeper symbols and meanings and character relationships in this movie, I'm completely into that. Call me. :)

I also recently watched The Shining - you know, the old school horror flick? Wow, definitely bizarre! But with upcoming Halloween, I was in quite the mood for it. Jack Nicholson is creepy enough by himself, then add a gigantic haunted and isolated hotel, a horrible murder story, and a kid with a mullet who can "shine!" Ha ha. Awesome. Can anyone explain the guy in the animal costume in room 327? If so, please enlighten me.
Also in the spirit of Halloween, Nick and I have been trying out pumpkin recipes. I like to call then pumpkin "funtivities." Pumpkin roll and pumpkin pancakes have been a success. Soon to come: Thai pumpkin soup, pumpkin chili, and healthy/hearty pumpkin bread. Yum. Isn't fall fantastic?
Also making fall fantastic has been the delightful Kal Haven trail. Who can say no to a brisk mid-morning walk on this beautiful "trail for all seasons?" The weather is crisp, but the sun, the sky, the leaves and the squirrels all warm my heart. I agree with Regina Spektor: "Leaves become most beautiful when they're about to die. When they're about to fall asleep, when they're about to dry... up!" I wish I had pictures to share from the vibrant Michigan woods, but you'll just have to take my word for it.
Cello is going well. My piano trio played Smetana in a masterclass with the Storioni Trio from the Netherlands last week. It was fantastic. And I'm using my practice tracker, and I made myself a learning schedule this morning. I'm just feeling very... on top of my cello life these days. And I think Uch is happy with me. That always makes my world a brighter place.
OK, I can't believe I've waited this long in the blog post to mention this, but I'm the new owner of a cute pink SNUGGIE! Friend Mike and friend Nick teamed up last night to get me a sweet gift. And I came home from work to discover this:

Mike and Nick had dressed up my cello case with warm weather clothing, featuring my new awesome snuggie. As ridiculous as the commercials are, snuggies really are quite wonderful. And partial proceeds from the pink one support the breast cancer foundation. It's one of my new favorite possessions. Ya'll know you're jealous.
Nathan is simply ON FIRE as a missionary, and I am exceedingly proud. Waiting is going well these days. And that feels really nice. Check out his blog. He writes fantastic letters!
These are all things that are making me happy. And Time Based Media class STILL isn't over.
XOXO,
James
11 comments:
I'm happy when my friends are happy! And I'm happy because my new nephew is in the process of being born! And I'm happy because my new place is surrounded by amazing fall trees and it's super beautiful. And because I'm going to see Thriller tonight. And because I just got back from Disneyland! And because I got to talk to you recently! I have an amazing life...
I am happy! Even though pregnancy is making me moody and tired, I'm happy because in March I'll have a new little buddy. Hope all is well with you, missed you yesterday! Call/text me if you ever wanna hang out.
I'm happy when the colors change in utah..even if it only last for a few short weeks! (I'm praying snow doesn't come too soon! :D )
I totally thought of you today! you know that fantastic tuning CD that you created for me...I used it today for the first time in a while, and OH MY that thing is WONDERFUL! it's on my ipod and i LOVE it...yep that's right I love those drones!
Hope you're doing well!
Hey James.
I love reading your blog beacurs i am always encouraged to stop and think.
I am happy because the leaves are changing colors, I am making a wicked awsome Halloween costume, Steve only has 6 more weeks of school until winter break. I just got done watching my fair lady and now i have all the music stuck in my head. but i love it. I just got done reading nathans blog and he sounds like he is doing fantastic. i can't believe he only has five months left. that makes me happy for you too. I miss you hope every thing stays swell and i think the book should becoming your way this week so write down some o your delicious pumpkin recipies in there
love
Lynsie B
I am definitely happy these days. IF I can survive the next two parent/teacher conference bonanza days, I'll be a person once more. I'd love to discuss the inner workings of "Max" and all his clan. I also connected to this movie and found it heartwarming, albeit a little depressing in my present state of mind. I've missed the leaves, so I'm depending on my vivid imagination and my memory to make it live for me now. I love my job and my family and the fact that I've lived a whole year after chemo. That feels like a gift. There's a baby comin' and Santa Carrot is knittin' and there's chili! I'm off track Friday and I've been X'd from MI, but it's ok because there's April. Love you SBJ.
I couldn't be happier, well I could be if I saw my sweet hubby more, but we are managing quite well with the law school business. Our baby and Caroline are healthy and well and we can't wait for our new little one's arrival! I LOVE fall and silk nog, but pumpkin nog, I am now on the look out too. So much to be happy about. I was crying from laughing so hard about the snuggie. Adam and I also think the commercials are hilarious...and the name!?
Anyway, love the "post something happy" idea, I may do the same.
Caroline wears her apron you gave her all the time to "cook with mommy" it's the cutest.
I am happy! Thanks for you comment on my blog.
I'm happy because I'm here in my life doing what I think is the best and i can finally see the big picture! Eternal perspective! woo!
cheese.
Miss Jamilyn....it is always a treat to read your blog. It gets me to think a bit more deeper as well. Just wanted to let you know I am happy because life is good! My children are doing well in all of their lives. It is fall, my favorite time of the year. My complaints become non significant because there is always somebody else who has more reason to complain than I. Thanks for making think about the simplier things of life!
Have you read "The Shining?" The book gives a lot more context to everything. :)
And I'm happy because I have my good health, a warm and happy home, an incredible family, and a network of amazing friends and students and colleagues. And...how can we forget the cutest NIECES in the world!
I'm happy because you and your cello have a snuggie!
and I'm happy because my students are progressing well and working hard
and I'm happy because I have a great family life with a kind husband and beautiful, funny daughters
and I'm happy because reading your post about the beautiful Michigan Fall brings back such sweet memories for me
love the blog
Isn't where the wild things are just a simple children's novel? I am pretty sure that there is not any hidden symbolism or meaning in the book or the movie (although Harry potter is the last movie that we have seen here at our house). If there is any hidden meaning I am sure that I do not want to know about it...it might ruin one of my favorite childhood books. Love the snuggie and yes, we are all jealous...looks like fun in the french room, but glad it was not too much fun. You are probably freaking mom and dad out posting stuff like that. Wow this is a long comment but I haven't looked at your blog in a while. Missed skyping with you today...did you forget to call? Also jealous of the pumpkin roll, but could certainly do without the pecans!
Post a Comment