
Dear book club friends,
Did any of you read Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert? Did you adore it? Remember Filipe, the Brazilian guy she met in Indonesia? Well, after her year of Eat Pray Love, she actually ended up marrying him!! Yes, Liz Gilbert who swore she would never ever get married again practically gets forced to marry Filipe- and of course, she wrote a book about it. A book about the custom and commitment of marriage, from a global perspective.
And it is wonderful.
I recommend this book to pretty much any woman- happily married or not. I thought of specific people while reading it. I'm not gonna pull another Delilah, and dedicate this book to anyone, but I definitely had some people in mind who I think would particularly enjoy it. (Is that weird?) Master Francis, I think you would dig this. Also Cassee the MG. And Mom, this is the book I was telling you about. Katie, maybe if you weren't so busy with school you could read this. And Stephanie, if you liked reading, this would be good for you too.
Want to know how I came about "Committed?" Dear Nick knows how much I love this author, and he knew she was coming out with a new book soon. So, being the sweet and thoughtful friend that he is, he ordered it for me for Christmas. I don't think he really knew what it was going to be about. Ha, does anyone else find that kind of funny?
I devoured this book like warm pears and cinnamon. I don't think I have ever been particularly skeptical about marriage, but I have stewed a lot over the topic- how to make the right choice of man, what makes a couple compatible enough for marriage, what things should be discussed and agreed upon before tying the knot. I think I have also worried a little bit about giving up other life dreams in place of being a wife and mother. But thanks to Elizabeth Gilbert and her wonderful research, even though I don't necessarily agree with every point she makes, I now have a feeling of confidence and empowerment upon someday (soon?) entering such a commitment. Not without caution, of course, but definitely with a fresh perspective.
So pick it up, ladies, and please tell me what you think!
ALSO, I have new spring goals on the side bar of my blog... finally! And a weekly schedule, and a practice plan. And I finished all of my steps in the DMA audition application process. I'm rhino steppin' and taking the reigns. And I'm feeling relatively relaxed about life. :)
7 comments:
Ooh, thanks for sharing! I loved Eat Pray Love and hoped she would write another book, had no idea that she had. Very excited to read it!
Can't wait to get my hands on the book Jayze. I do find it funny that you got this book from Nick. I spend half my high school H-English class career inquiring "Is THIS irony? Was THAT ironic?" I think I get it now. You made me wanna go have a bowl of warm pears and C. Good job on the baby rhino steps. I need a transfusion of your motivation!
I read Eat Pray Live! I so want to read the new one, thanks for posting this, now I know what book I will read next.
Pretty new layout and pic. Perfect!
Now, wait a second. I read up on it before I bought it. I wasn't entirely clueless. I think I have the right to an honest interest in your literary enjoyment, regardless of the topic. After reading the title I felt rather fascinated by the timing of the release, and I certainly couldn't resist gifting it to you. :)
So glad you enjoyed it!
James I love the new side bar photos
Hi James! I loved "Eat, Pray, Love" and now you've got me very excited about the new book. The timing of this is very interesting, because marriage has been on my mind a lot lately, for a number of reasons (good and bad). I'm looking forward to reading it!
By the way, I got your letter and I'm going to get the letter of rec off tomorrow. :)
Post a Comment