Wednesday, October 3, 2012

New Eyes

Yesterday, I flushed an old pair of contacts down the sink.  This happens at the beginning of each month, when the old pair starts to feel too scummy to keep trying to see through.  It's a pretty normal occurrence.  But each time I watch the slightly blue-ish lenses disappear down the drain, I feel a tiny bit nostalgic about all the things I was able to see through that particular pair.  Honestly, without the help of modern opthomology, all of the following would have been a fuzzy blur:


The "Piano Guys" Steven Sharp Nelson and John Schmidt gave a concert at Red Butte Garden that was being taped for a KBYU special.  It was such an awesome show!  The best part was that they did almost every song twice to make sure it was perfect for TV.  The fall leaves were beautiful, and we didn't anticipate how cold it would get when it got dark.  It was a good excuse to cuddle close.  :) 

We were there with my Dad and his high school pal Laurie, who actually hooked us up with the tickets.  She is a fantastic piano player, and she knew that I am a cellist.  The Sunday following the concert, we got together and "jammed" as if we were as cool as Steven Sharp Nelson and John Schmidt.

Our new pals Lacy and Brian invited us to go with them to another concert, this time at the Depot.  We heard Bryan John Appleby, who is a new favorite, Blitzen Trapper, and an old favorite The Head and The Heart. We had gone too long without a concert like this in our lives!  It was a much needed musical recharge.  And it was wonderful.  


After the concert, we headed to Dees for some post-concert yummies, and we had the pleasure of sitting next to a table of drag queens.  Word of caution to cross dressers: If you're going to dress like a woman, you need to sit like one.  No one wants to see up your mini skirt.  :) 


 Also with Lacy and Brian, and our other favorite newlyweds Ashley and Ray, we went to our first ever Skatin' Utes hockey game!  It was the season opener against BYU and it was really awesome!  I watched some hockey in Michigan, and love it.  The Utes have a good team and we won 12-5 or something like that.  However, our fans are lame and pretty rude.  At the end of the game, they started chanting "Just like football."  Ha.  Go Skatin' Utes! 


The only pictures of this fun day with JJ and Kaitlyn are of our long-awaited dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings.  Without getting into the saga of how long we waited for each step of the eating dinner process, I'll just say that we got to the restaurant a little after 5:30 and didn't leave until after 9:00.  And it's not cause we stayed forever talking.  Poor service.  Good wings.  

Before the wings, though, we went on a mini hike up behind the bountiful temple to a beautiful waterfall.  With our feet in the crisp water and our lungs full of fresh mountain air, we caught up with these good friends.  

My old contacts also helped me see the season premieres of Glee, Gray's Anatomy, New Girl, The Mindy Project, SNL, and various episodes of The Voice.  I don't know how we really have time to watch this much TV, but I'm kind of disgusted with us.  

Now I have fresh contacts to wear.  I am excited to see in October! 

1 comment:

Erin the Mom said...

I love how you "see" the world. What a fun way to tell about life! Love you, J.