I got a text a few weeks ago from one of my oldest friends. Kristin and I met in first grade and were best pals all throughout elementary school and most of Jr. High. We got sent to the principal's office together, we won the science fair together, we did dance class together, we did almost every "GT" class together. Then, like things sometimes do, we drifted- pretty far, actually. We didn't really talk in high school. I was a cheerleader absorbed in the awesomeness of my own life, and she was a track star party girl.
We caught up a few times during college when we both were up in Logan. We bonded over poor life decisions and questions about who we really were and wanted to be. She made fun of me mercilessly (and rightfully so) when I made out with her cousin after the Famous Preston Night Rodeo.
Nathan and I ran into her and Ashley at the Farmer's Market last summer, but besides that, I hadn't seen her for years and years until Ashley's wedding. Despite the drifting between me and Kristin, Ashley and Kristin have stayed pretty close since Jr. High. And Kristin was a part of Ashley's wedding. For the first time in a long time, we were at the same place at the same time. Besides superficial his and how-are-yous, we didn't really spend time together in California. Which was kind of too bad.
Then I got the random text. She said she had had a dream about me (not a weird one...) and that she felt like we should really hang out and catch up. She said she was disappointed that we didn't get to talk much at Ashley's wedding. She wanted to get together for a baking day. She wanted to wear aprons and stir things. :) So we set a date, picked a recipe, and I met her at her cute SoSLC apartment.
On that magical first-snow-of-the-season day, we put on our aprons and got out measuring cups and mixers. We talked about life, our jobs, our husbands, our hobbies, our families, our pet peeves, and the future. We baked cranberry lemon scones and steeped marzipan rooibos tea. And then we grabbed our umbrellas and went for a chilly walk in the snow. It was wonderful.
I'm glad that she initiated a baking day. And I'm glad that there will be more in the future. Even though it has been years and years, and miles of drifting, we still have plenty in common. And plenty of water under the bridge. Thank heavens for old friends. And tea, scones, and autumn snow!

1 comment:
cute cute!!
Post a Comment