After running our Cancer Thrasher 5k back in June, I really never thought I'd want to run more than 3 miles in a row again. 5k felt like a good amount of distance to run- a challenge, but not exhausting. I wanted to keep running, but not for hours and hours at a time.
But my sister was more inspired by our race than me. She wanted another running goal to push her further than we had gone before. But she didn't want to pay the entrance fee for a longer race. So she organized us all together and planned a Beckstrom Family 10k. She set a date and enlisted herself, John, Adam, my Dad, and me for the event. She even emailed us a 10k training plan that I probably should have followed better.
October 27, 2012 was the day of the race. It was a chilly morning, so we all bundled up for the run. Nathan and Andrea stayed with the kids and manned the timer while we ran the plotted course. Erin made cute race participant numbers to wear and also taped up course direction signs all along the way. This is the group before setting off on our run:
It turned out to be a beautiful morning. From the starting line, John- the marathon runner- jetted off in front of everyone else. My Dad and Adam were next, sticking together the whole way, and then me, and then Erin. I was having a good time running, and just plain enjoying myself so much that I missed one of the route direction signs, which ended up making me run an extra .4 miles. Whoops! It was a pleasant mistake, through, because by the time I got back on course, I caught up with Erin, and we finished the race together. And running with a sister is more fun than running alone.
This is me crossing the finish line. By the time we hit the home stretch, the rest of the family was there along the way to cheer us on. Cute Caleb and Olive ran the last little bit of the race along with me, and Caroline was waiting at the finish line with a big sign of congratulations.
It felt great to set a really hard goal and then to accomplish it. And to work hard to get there! And to have fun doing it! After the race, Erin had made goodie bags for the runners, and she also presented us with race completion certificates. She really put in a lot of thought and work to make our little family race feel as official as possible. This is a picture of the winners podium: John on the top step, then my Dad and Adam sharing second place, and Erin and I coming in third.
I ran the farthest I have ever gone. I ran faster than I had ever ran. And it felt great! What's next for this novice runner- a half marathon? Maybe so. But I'll definitely be back for the 2nd annual Beckstrom Family 10k.


1 comment:
I'm glad we all had a good experience with the run! Until next year...
(And you did GREAT with your 6.6 miles... That's further than I'VE ever run!)
Post a Comment