Wednesday, April 7, 2010

And the World Spins Madly On


Well... Well... Well... Life is a little bit crazy right now! But jeez, hasn't it been for a while?

Here's an update from the life of Jamilyn!

Elder Nathan Morris, my best friend, and guy I dated for about 4.5 years before his mission, returned this week from serving in San Antonio Texas. I flew back to Utah to be there. I was incredibly nervous, and excited, and happy, and EMOTIONAL! And he's HOME! Sometimes it still feels unreal. We snapped right back into our wonderful friendship as if no time had gone by at all- except for that LOTS of time has gone by, and it's impossible to ignore all of the changes we've both made in ourselves. He's such a missionary! We had daily companion study, and a planning session, and spiritual discussions. He'd frequently check his watch, and get antsy if we weren't doing anything. He misses bearing his testimony, and talking to everybody about the gospel, and spending all day serving. But he's still hilariously funny, and loves dancing with me, and looks as good in his civilian clothes as he does in a suit and tie. :)
During the weekend that we got to spend together, it felt like time was going by so fast!! We listened to our favorite music, danced, talked about mission stuff, watched "Up," visited with family and friends, talked about the future, watched conference, participated in an easter hunt, went shopping, talked some more, and then it was time for me to go back to Michigan! TOOOO soon! Even though he's further away from me than he was when he was in Texas, this stretch of our relationship already feels much more connected. We send frequent text messages, we study scriptures together over the phone, and I've even played my cello for him over skype. :)
Speaking of cello... I have my graduate cello recital this Sunday! Woot! Almost finished!! I hope I have an audience. Most of the people who I care about hearing me play are thousands of miles to the west. (And a few are to the east...) I'm repeating my recital for Utah family and friends sometime this summer. I'll keep you posted on details. Cello is owning my life this week. And I actually even love it.
In other awesome cello news... I GOT THE GRADUATE QUARTET ASSISTANTSHIP AT THE U! The unofficial email came yesterday from the head of the string department telling me of their decision. :) :) So, I guess this is the answer to prayer that the next step in my life is to embark upon my doctorate degree in cello performance. At the University of Utah. Starting in fall of 2010. It feels good to have pieces of my future starting to fall into place. Really good.


ALSO shout out of CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS to my dear friend Katie and her new FiAnCe Trevor!! They got engaged on the same day that Nathan came home. I LOVE these two together. Thanks, Trevor, for making Katie so incredibly happy. I'm glad you're joining "the girls." Best weekend EVER!

And that's it for now! Exciting things are on the horizon. If I can just make it past this recital, things will be smooth sailing. Please send good mental vibes my way!

Love and hugs to you all,
Jamilyn

9 comments:

lynsie said...

Yay Jamie you got it. I am so excited for you. that is excellent news. i guess i will only get to call master beckstrom for a couple of years. ALso Good luck on your final recite this sunday i am sure it will be fantastic.

Lara said...

Hey Jamilyn, I'm studying music at the U next year too! Maybe I'll see you around! Way to go on the two years, you made it!

Steve said...

Congratulations X2 and good luck.

Jenete said...

Good luck on your recital I am sure you will be spectacular:) and congrats on the U:)

fsqanne said...

You got the good vibes from me! You will be great, just remember to enjoy yourself. ;-) Can't wait to have you back in Utah with us!

Adam B said...

I knew you were always on our team...even if you pretended to be partial to that school up North. It is good to finally have you on our side! Congrats on the graduate program!!! And good luck on Sunday. Just take a deep breath, because the bottom line is, are they really going to fail their best student? I highly doubt it...it would reflect badly on them! Just enjoy your last opportunity to show them your stuff. ::::) (Four Bekstrom's smiling for you)

Adam B said...

Beckstrom's :) oops!

Here And Happy! said...

I'm so alone in my Cougarness. It wasn't so bad while you were an Aggie. At least it wasn't unanimous, but now...sheesh! However, WAY TO BE the winner!!! I'm overwhelmed with pride. Do I have to call you Dr. Beckstrom tho'? And can I have another cello lesson?

Stephi said...

wow, quartet assistantship!! PERFECT for you!! I'll never forget that Fedotov said you were a perfect chamber music player. that just DOESN'T HAPPEN. SERIOUSLY. Good for you, girl!!! :)