Monday, September 27, 2010

Autumn

Oh Autumn. Welcome back.

And... a new blog playlist! Welcome back to many autumn-y favorites!

Isn't it great that I'm finally done with the 30 day music challenge, so I can blog about real life again? After (what I thought was) a horrible week, I had a wonderfully rejuvenating weekend. I've been feeling so stuck in life lately- stuck in school, stuck living with my parents, stuck engaged, stuck in Utah, stuck in my job- but I this weekend helped me to realize that I have been being completely selfish. I feel like I need a wake-up call like this all the time! If I'm feeling unhappy with my situation, I need to just flip over the coin and look at all the good that's going on all around me. And then figure out how I can add even more to it. So this is me, publicly admitting my change of mind. My change of attitude. My flipping of the coin.

I found a new favorite place in Salt Lake. It's called The Beehive Tea Room, and it is divinely delicious! Imagine nibbling on a lavender white chocolate scone dipped in raspberry mint tea that has been stirred with a honey stick. YUM! And it's got ambiance. :)

Nathan and I picked up some loose herbal tea for the road. He decided on Chocolate Mint Rooibos. I know it's hard to believe, but I think it tops Kalamazoo's Waterstreet Peppermint Rooibos on my 'absolute favorite tea' list. Mmmm.

However, nothing has topped my favorite Sweetwater Donut mill. It's fall, and I'm craving a black forest cherry. It's been so long since I've had a DONUT!


Other delicious new find- Pumpkin Smash smoothies at Jamba Juice. It's like drinking pumpkin pie- in a pleasant way. These are the tastes of autumn.
My little morning orchestra class is so much fun (flip side of the coin- SUCH A CHALLENGE!) I am learning so so much. I might even be learning to play the violin in secret. But there are 9 adorable little uniform-clad children that show up each morning at 7:20, awake and eager to learn. The trick now is holding that enthusiasm all the way to 8:00. Eight year olds, I am learning, are SO so so different than college students. :)

I'm not sure what else to report. School is going well. I feel like I read more than I ever have in my life- and I love reading. Quartet is awesome. We're cruising through the Mendelssohn op. 13, Haydn "fifths" and a student composer piece called "Plains of Heaven," which doesn't sound like any heaven I've ever imagined. I had a revolutionary cello lesson where we did nothing but focus on the ends of notes. I think it might have changed my life. :) Wedding plans are truckin' along. This week's triumphs included Bridesmaid dresses and ring bearer outfits. It was awesome to watch/hear Hilary Haun rock the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto at the Symphony. And awesome to see so many old friends with good news! Women's conference was an inspiration. And I'm looking forward to General Conference next weekend.

I am grateful for my wonderfully patient and hard-working fiance.
I am grateful for a free and comfortable place to live.
I am grateful to live close to family and friends, surrounded by the mountains.
I am thrilled to be getting married in less than 3 months.
I am grateful for the opportunity to learn and be challenged in my school and work.

And this is what helps me un-stick myself from my previous bad-mood week. Things are looking up.

And it's autumn!

3 comments:

Here And Happy! said...

Brava diva!

Anonymous said...

You have lots of wonderful things going on in your life! I am glad that you are enjoying the simple things of life!

The Beckstroms said...

We are so thrilled that it's Autumn too and that we get to come to your big par-tay in Dec.!! Can't wait!