Sunday, September 28, 2008

A real update

Enough of the silly surveys and things that I've been blogging lately.  Here is a real update.

In the past two days, 4 different friends have told me that I look "really tired", "exhausted", and "half asleep".  1) I hate hearing that... you might as well just say "wow, you really look like crap today! What happened?"  and 2) I've gotten more sleep in the past two days than I have in a long time.  What's the deal?  I didn't wear makeup yesterday and I thought that might have been a factor, but I was more than disheartened to hear it today when I was all put together and thinking that I looked good.  Dang it.  

Tammy, you'll be happy to know that all the fun that I've been having in Michigan is finally subsiding.  I am full force into school and super busy with homework and textbooks and practicing.  I am learning to say "no", which is a HARD thing for me to do.  "No" to dates that I have neither time nor interest in.  "No" to teaching opportunities that I don't have room in my schedule for.  "No" to parties when I have homework to do.  *sigh* ... growing up is hard.  

But I DID say "yes" to two new callings in my little Kalamazoo University Branch.  Say hello to the new branch choir director and relief society teacher.  I am extremely humbled and overwhelmed by both of these new positions.  I feel moved to use a slightly sacrilegious but applicable quote from my favorite Jim Halpert of the Office.  "Lord beer me strength!"

I ran my first sectional as GA of the cello studio here.  It's hard work to command authority in front of a group of college cellists, many of whom are hardly less talented or younger than I am.  I am extremely grateful for the ones who were respectful and helpful, and who listened to what I had to say.  And less grateful to the ones who didn't... in fact, I wouldn't mind smacking a few of them.  Master Francis... I totally relate to the feeling of "caged monkeys".  I'm sorry that I was ever one of them.  I had a lesson in church today, of all places, titled "Love the ones you teach".  Man, if that wasn't inspired from God, I don't know what is.

After a series of small miracles, I am happily settled into my new studio apartment in my new yellow house.  And someone bought the lease to my old party house.  Phew, that's a weight off of my shoulders!  Here is a picture of my cute new place, and also a video tour... cause I know you all secretly want to see inside my house.  Please don't use the info in the pic or video to stalk me for real.  I'll call the cops.  


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The house looks cute. Which part do you live in? I am glad you had fun while you could. Sounds like you are really busy. I would love to see you in action as the choir director. I believe once you are pegged as a person with music talent you are destined to be associated with music in fashion or another. You get to appreciate those good students you teach and tolerate those that like to push your buttons! Good luck!

cuzimmom said...

Jami, we missed you at the september birthday dinner. I think it was the first one without you in a long time. You were thought of, though. I had another piece of cake in your honor (actually, grandma's zuchini brownies!) We look forward to seeing you in time for the December birthday's (yours included). I'm glad you are keeping busy, it makes the mission go by faster. Love ya Aunt Jan

Here And Happy! said...

SBJ your house is DARLING porch and all! I'm glad you're feeling settled. Your video assignment was total Music Geek Greek to me--LOL. Too bad your video won't post. I've had that same problem myself in the past and there's no way around it unless you can compress and zip. I wish I knew the New You better. It's hard to be so far away but this little space helps. Um, can we cease with the use of "crap"? Loveyamuch.

Cassee said...

Oh, soooo cute Jamilyn!!

Email me a song of you playing cello!! I'M SERIOUS! I'm going to keep nagging you until I get something in my inbox.

Elisa & Josh said...

Your house is so cute! I'm glad you were able to get out of the party house/area.

Jenete said...

hey we're blogging buds now. Another Yellow house! I think this one beats the one in Logan...very cute