Sunday, November 16, 2008

Happy??

Two starkly different conversations happened tonight with two drastically different friends... practically back to back. The topic of both conversations= happiness.  The two perspectives on this topic=  radically different.  And this has spurred some blog-worthy thoughts in the past few hours- Let me throw 'em atcha and see what you come up with.

1- What makes you happy?
2- When you're unhappy, what do you change?
3- How does religion affect your happiness?
4- Do you think you have control over your own happiness?

Lately, I've been learning a lot about what makes me happy when things get tough, and I'm down with telling ya all about it.  But right now I want to know what YOU think.  I would LOVE any and every comment you've got!

In the mean time, here are some happy pictures from a wonderful weekend...

Snow in my front yard!
One countdown tower filled up!
Egg nog, whip cream, almond milk and cinnamon!
Good friends, good conversations, good drinks on an almost winter night!


6 comments:

lynsie said...

Hey Jamie,
I thought I would respond to your happy questions. Interestingly enough we had a lesson in YW yesterday leaving me pondering these same thoughts.
What makes me happy?
I think Happiness comes with in, sometimes I thing you have to make the decision to choose your attitude and how you are going to let things effect you. One thing though that adds to my happiness is being around friends and family even though this is hard to do some times be cause of being to far away I am just grateful for phones so that you can at least just talk to them.
When You're unhappy, what do you change?
I go to work (not at a job) Hard work and serving others. I think when you keep busy and doing things that are beneficial helps me not wallow in my own misery. One of my favorite things to do when I am sad I will make a big dinner for Steve and some of his friends at school and go take it to them because I Love to see there smiles when they are having something nutritional to eat.
How does religion affect your Happiness?
Religion gives me such a different out look on life that helps me change my attitude for the positive. I think just having a knowledge of the plan of salvation and knowing that I have an IMPORTANT purpose on this earth just like the savior did gives me renewed hope. I know that Christ gave the Ultimate sacrifice, but god did not send us here for nothing there is someone’s heart that we need to touch and be a good influence for. I love this quote." all men and women are our brothers and sisters, Sent to earth to work out there salvation, each beset by problems, each in need of help and compassion. We are caring out Gods plan when we esteem them and help them feel by words and actions that the can achieve, that they are of worth, and that they are of children of god. When we live this commandment of God, esteem returns to us as a gift from those we esteem"
Do you think we have control over your own happiness?
I most defiantly do. That is what agency is. Its making our own decisions choosing if we are going to be happy or sad, what we are going to eat or not eat, how we are going to live our life. Many people will say that we don't choose are attitude but I know for a fact that we do. Yes it is a lot easier to put on a smile when you are at Disney land but you can just as easily be happy through a trial when you "for get yourself and go to work" (president Hinckley" I always think of my little sis and people like your mom when you see them and they are choosing to be happy when they are suffering with pain and sickness that they know one day will be gone. Thank goodness for hope so that we can be happy on thinking of a better tomorrow or seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hey James thanks for letting me have my own little soup box and telling you a little of what I think about these questions. And I love the picture of you and Nathan at my wedding. I can't wait to see you all dressed in white marring the person that you love because that will truly ADD to your happiness.

We all need to just remember to have JOY in the JOURNEY

Stephi said...

Jami -
Wow, what an interesting post. I think that that is something that I learn about every day, but I wouldn't mind answering your questions.

1- What makes me happy?Knowing who I am. Whether it's the Gospel, my friends, my family, my Savior, or my talents, when I learn new things about myself, or feel confidence about the things I already know, I think that that is a big factor in making me happy.

2- When I'm unhappy, what do I change? Usually I'm unhappy because I feel like I'm lacking something, or because I'm worried what others think, or because I'm not doing something I should. A lot of times, it has to do with my prayers and scripture study. I also usually look for help in my friends or in PJ. I try to take their advice to heart to know what I should change.

3 - How does religion affect your happiness?Well, of course it makes me happy! With the gospel, we can know who we are, we can know how to change, how to make up for our mistakes. Stake conference really gave me a good desire to change and filled me with peace. Last night I was able to pray and read scriptures and that helped too. Our religion is a lifestyle that revolves around the Savior, around always becoming better, about friendship and family, about so many wonderful things that make us happy.

4- Do you think you have control over your own happiness?I think the time when we are the least happy is when we blame things on others. I heard a quote that says, "The only disability in life is a bad attitude." At times we find ourselves in situations where that is the only thing we feel control over. It's a hard thing to remember, but focusing on the Savior, on bettering ourselves, can really help with that. We have control over our actions, and happiness is also feeling good about the things you do. We definitely have control over our own happiness.

I think I'll post this on my blog as well, maybe it can help me remember what makes me happy. I love you, Jami! :)

I also really like what your friend said before me, I didn't read it until after I wrote my comments, but it's really awesome. It's going right along with the emphasis on service in our Stake Conference yesterday! :)

Here And Happy! said...

I think we are definitely responsible for our own happiness! No one or no thing can make me happy unless I decide to allow it. In contrast, no one or no thing can make me UNhappy unless I allow it either. When I'm unhappy (if I'm not enjoying wallowing in the puddle of my own woe) I'm able to change by talking my feelings out with a trusted listener.Just being heard and understood takes a lot of burden from me. I also like walking outside--that always helps me diffuse. Doing something for someone else helps me forget my problems too. Religion works for me because it validates my belief in a Heavenly Father who knows me, His daughter. Belief in a Savior who has felt every sorrow makes Him a wonderful resource. I can ask Him to help me and He does it if I believe in Him. Religion also facilitates service, one of the best ways to get outside myself and into others. Being there for someone else is very happy-making! So many of the things that can make a person unhappy can be avoided by following a pattern of submission of one's will to a higher power and making effort to live a moral life. Religion usually offers direction in these two areas and a network of other people who share similar goals and are trying too. Having someone to try with is very happy-making for me.

Here And Happy! said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ashley said...

Happiness for me comes from the small things. A great song you haven't heard for a while, a compliment, noticing something no one else sees, watching a little kid play. Those moments when you are outside yourself and noticing that you aren't alone in the world. Those are the things that get me out of any misery I might have. As far as changing when I'm unhappy, I tend to look inward and try not to wallow (even though sometimes it feels like the best thing to do), and just try to overcome. I think that's where my problem is though. I look inward, when I should look outward to the people around me. Something I need to get better at, I suppose.

Of course, religion is something that makes me happy. It not only gives me a purpose in life, but it reminds me that I'm never alone, and that my problems are nothing in the grand scheme of things. And I'm, of course, a strong believer that all our choices and actions govern our thoughts and feelings. Even though outsides sources may cause me pain and make me upset, annoyed, or frustrated, ultimately, I know I'm the one choosing to be unhappy.

And that's all my rambling for the moment! :)

Rudi said...

When it comes down to it, the things that make me happy--and not just content, but the kind of happy you feel in your soul--it's because I'm living the way Heavenly Father has commanded us to live. When I'm unhappy, I evaluate what I'm doing in my life: how am I spending my time? what kinds of things are filling my thoughts? can I be more kind and loving? have I been praying and devoting time and energy to Heavenly Father? How am I treating his children? Religion teaches me what I can do to be happy and why we're here on this earth and that I have eternal and divine worth. That I can be with the people I love forever. I definitely think I have control over my own happiness. Everyone does.