1. Cello 4 hours daily... oh man. I feel like a freakin' Freshman again, cause for some reason this was REALLY HARD for me to do this semester. And it's almost painful to admit this, cause I got SO GOOD at it during my time at USU. I probably averaged 16 hours a week, which is pathetic. This is something I'm going to have to tackle with increased vigor in spring semester. Since I'm in grad school to get better at cello, I'd sure better practice it more!!!
2. Read My Textbooks... SUCCESS! This goal wasn't as hard for me as I thought it would be. With the classes I was taking, I pretty much HAD to read the textbook, or fail the class. And so I read them. And I learned a lot.
3. Get a 4.0 ... SO CLOSE!!!! I've never never never gotten an A in a music theory class, and for some reason, I still couldn't pull it off this semester. I got As in everything else, but a "BA", which I think is the equivalent of a B+, in my Music Theory Seminar about pitch classes and tunings. 3.88 isn't so bad, right?
4. Exercise 3X a week... yikes. I think I consciously exercised maybe 3X the entire semester. However, I DID climb the three flights of stairs to the music library multiple times a day- and many of those times I was running up the stairs to not be late for class. I NEED to do better next semester. For my physical AND emotional health. My body craves running. And yoga.
5. Be politically informed... this went well. I feel like I stayed current with what candidates were saying and where they stood with issues. I watched debates and read official websites and pamphlets and talked with friends. And I feel like I made a good choice. Then I met Nick and found out I knew practically nothing about RonPaul...
6. Keep in touch with friends and fam... went well. But I could still do better. I didn't talk to Katie all semester long. And that's a problem. Also, Sister Folkner comes home from her mission on Friday and I didn't write her a single time since August. I also didn't write a single letter to Sister Hafen, Sister Richards, Elder Bell, Elder Hesterman, or Elder Mitchell. Pretty much the only missionary friend I kept in contact with is Elder Morris.
7. Waste less time online... Went better. In Kalamazoo, I don't have internet at my house, so if I want to get online I have to do it during school time. Thus I didn't spend late night hours writing blogs or facebook stalking. BUT it did become a problem when I had papers to write and tests to study for. The free wifi library became SUPER time waste zone.
8. Find good in everyone... working on it and making progress all the time. Elder Morris would be so proud.
9. Work on my Midwest accent... going REALLY well. Especially the more I hang out with Annalaura, or in the Minneapolis airport. :) I wish there were some sort of alphabetical notation to phonetically show what I'm saying here but- "Me and my mam are going to Meijer to buy some pap!"
It's been a good semester I think. I need to work harder and take more responsibility for my own learning and progress. I guess that's all part of being a grown-up now. Spring goals coming soon...
1
1
4 comments:
wow Jami!!!! All of those things that you did are terrific!!! I am so impressed. But it looks like you are pleased with yourself which is a good thing. Don't worry.. I know you, you will keep progressing and reach all your goals. I still miss you tons.
keep it up jamilyn. i am very impressed with your goals. much better than mine went!! thanks for being such a great example. i'm excited to play with you soon!!! MUCH catching up to do.
love yoU!
Oh sweetie, I am so proud of having made you into such an OCD goal-setter. :) And best of all, a good evaluator. That is by far the most important part...you had a great first semester, SBJ, and things will just keep getting better as time goes on. Your awareness is a huge part of that!
I had so much fun seeing you last week!
haha, so what exactly is a midwest accent? because i know that i have a hoosier twang since i'm from indiana and all, but i never knew there was a midwest accent! hah.
Post a Comment